Monday, March 9, 2015

Pinterest: My Image File of Desires & Dreams

Apparently, I like the beach. A LOT!

I'd love a beach house and would love to try out scuba diving and surfing.

At least, that's what I've learned from a series of tasks from The Artist's Way that begged the start of an image file of desires and dreams that spoke to me. I created my image file on Pinterest, because of the ease of the site. However, physically gathering images and displaying them in my environment would work, too; perhaps, would even be better, due to seeing the images around more often than only when visiting a website.

The argument is that as you surround yourself with images of what you want, you will more motivated to work for them. Experts recommend it to boost sales, for fitness goals, for spiritual peace, etc. And quite honestly, it works. The more I've surrounded myself by these images the more driven and motivated I am to put forth the work for them. I'd recommend it as a process for those who struggle with motivation.

But first you must know what you want! What do you want out of life? Do you know?

These exercises from The Artist's Way can help. List the very first things that come to mind. Don't overthink. Even if you don't start an image file after reading this post, I'd recommend you try this, just to gain guidance and self-alignment in your life:

  • "If I had either money or faith, I would try ... List five desires."
  • "List five imaginary lives" -- "If you had five other lives to lead, what would you do in each of them?" Would you be a pilot, a cowhand, a healer, a Peace Corps worker, a lawyer, a country singer?
  • "If I were twenty and had money ... List five adventures."
  • "If I were sixty-five and had money ... List five postponed pleasures."
  • "Ten items I would like to own that I don't are ... "

Many things that came to mind, I didn't even know I wanted, but as I entertained those thoughts and found images that matched, I felt the stirring and enlivening excitement of pursuing them. Things like:

  • A home -- Obviously, I want to live somewhere. However, I didn't know what spoke to me and what kind I really wanted and felt naturally drawn to, until I sought out images.
  • Scuba diving -- This came up A.LOT!!! with The Artist's Way -- all over the place in the 12-week course. I think I oughta listen.
  • Beach house
  • Beautiful garden
  • Surfing
  • Beach life
  • European and Hawaiian travels
  • Party hosting/entertaining
  • Bright, delightful clothing
  • Marriage and Family life -- This one I found incredibly personal, so its Pinterest board remains 'secret' for now, but it is incredibly important. As in, my "That ONE & Those Others" board has the most pins of all the boards I created.
  • Actor/Screenwriter -- Again, the kind I want to be. The image file has helped in gathering the kind of performance I am drawn to and that I can draw inspiration from, like Silver Linings Playbook.

Silver Linings Playbook
"You may not have experienced the shit that I did. But you loved hearing about it,
didn't you? You are afraid to be alive, you are afraid to live. You're a hypocrite.
You're a conformist. You're a liar. I opened up to you, and you judged me."


Of course, more things came to mind with the exercises, many of which could be included in other categories. For example, I understand that my imaginary life as a Kindergarten teacher stems from my love for children, so I included lots of crafts and activities to do with children in my Family board.

What do you want in life? Are you pursuing it? What motivates you?

Many swear the image file works to bring about what they specifically want. I'm not there, yet, to see that happen in my life. Only my efforts and positive vibes will determine that. But I do find these images rejuvenating.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment